Merry Christmas! One of my favourite times of the year, Christmas for me means spending quality time with my family & friends, long relaxing days at the beach and, of course, LOTS of incredible food! Here’s a few tips on how to navigate the 'silly season' & still enjoy yourself without making your health suffer.
1. Focus on Fun.
Yes, food is a huge part of Christmas for anyone who enjoys eating. But don’t make it your main focus. Instead, pay attention to the people around you & fun (non-food related) activities, like decorating the Christmas tree.
2. Be Selective.
I don’t believe in restricting yourself from your favourite foods, and Christmas is no exception. But this doesn’t mean you need to have each and every type of food that comes your way. Decide which foods are your absolute favourites and which ones you could do without before you start eating.
3. Don’t over-do it.
Christmas is not an excuse to eat as much as you want. Enjoy yourself, but be sensible with portion sizes, make sure you only eat when you’re hungry and stop eating before you become uncomfortably full. Trust me, you’ll enjoy your food more and it will make it easier to avoid weight gain.
4. Watch your alcohol. It’s easy to underestimate the effect that alcohol can have on your weight and physical health. So watch how many you’re having and choose lower calorie options like vodka with fresh lime and soda water.
5. Be prepared for social occasions by making sure there is at least one healthy choice to eat, e.g.
- Vegetable sticks with a low-fat dip or fresh salads (use red & green colours to make it festive!)
- Fresh seasonal fruit plaMer (think mango, watermelon, cherries, apricots...)
- Bocconcini, basil & cherry tomatoes on toothpicks
- Unsalted mixed nuts or popcorn
But most importantly, enjoy yourself!